Monday 4 July 2011

Imagine There's No Rainclouds... Let's See If You Can... No Shoddy Weather... Just Me Getting A Tan... Imagine All The People... Rocking The Ray Bans... And You-ou-ou-ou... You May Say I'm A Dreamer... But I'm Not The Only One... I Hope Some Day-ay-ay-ay You Will Join Us... And The World Might Get Some Sun...

It was really quite a pleasant, relaxing day, yesterday... Even if the weather wasn't so much...
We awoke to the ROAR of thunder and heavy rain hitting the New York skyline, early in the morning; got ready and went to breakfast, shielding ourselves from the rain... I don't think I've told you about the breakfast restaurant, so I shall right now... This little place gives us free breakfast with the hotel, where we get all the usual (tea, coffee, juice, egg, bacon, sausage, toast etc. etc.), only it's full of some of the most enthusiastic waitresses on the face of the planet. All of these women are originally Eastern Europeans, and the one which we have had (who is Polish), prances about with this gigantic grin on her face, as she pours out her coffee... Now whether this is because she genuinely loves her job, or just because we tip her $15 for an essentially free meal (someone's not doing the math right; I'm pretty damn sure 20% of nothing isn't $15...), remains to be seen; but the service and food is genuinely quite good to be honest...
So we did all that, and with weather still firmly in UK setting, we decided that it would be a good time to visit the New York Museum Of Natural History, as it's indoors... Verdict? Well... (you know something's never gonna be good, when the sentence just starts with "Well...") it wasn't bad per-se... Just... Not quite up to the standards of our museum, really... I mean don't get me wrong; it was still interesting to see the dinosaur remains and stuff; but when free wifi connection is the best thing about a building, you know it's probably not worth the tenner entry fee...
Once we came out of the museum, the sky has cleared just a little bit, so we went outside, bought a $3 hotdog from a roadside dealer (which, for the record, was just about the size of my indexfinger - I could've gotten more sausage, by moving to Thailand, and looking for attractive women...), then decided to have a nice little walk around Central Park... I do like it in the park; especially at the reservoir; which is where we stopped off for quite a little while, to take a few photos, and gaze curiously at these odd little turtles that seemed to be having a threesome, whilst balancing on a log, in the middle of the water (now I didn't see THAT in the Karma Sutra...)... We carried on a bit further into Strawberry Fields (of course where Mr Chapman sat waiting, before shooting the late, great John Lennon), where we decided to scavenge our way into a free guide of the area by a tour guide whom was clearly charging a premium for his mediocre services... An ensemble of reddening, vengeful faces in the listening crowd, one by one looked over at us, in some failed attempt of intimidation, trying to shun us into leaving; as they realised that not only had they wasted their own money on this pointless explanation on how 'Beatles fans might like this area'; but that we were getting exactly the same horrendous commodity for absolutely nothing... And what's more? We didn't have to spend the next three hours, trundling about the streets, locked in a coach with the boring old weasel, and no means of escape...
The end of the day was possibly the most enjoyable part, as we cruised the city streets on the NYC night tour... Now I've done it before, but even so, to see the city lit up at night is something pretty damn awesome... The thing I wasn't best pleased with though, was the fact that we were atop an open-topped double-decker bus, twice crossing the Manhattan Bridge; which has only a 3feet tall barrier on either side, and about a 150feet deep fall... I think it would be fair to say that I was pooping myself, looking over the edge at that point...
But anyways; today's July 4th, which means two things - nutty Americans, and me leaving my beloved New York... I'm off to catch a train to DC now, and don't know if I'll have Internet connection there... I hope I do... But let's just wait and see... 
I'll see you when I see you...

Thanks,
Kempo.

No comments:

Post a Comment