Thursday 7 July 2011

Shot On Set

July 5th: The first full day in DC today, and as such, dad thought it'd be good to go around looking at sites and such...
So off we went to Capitol building (yeah; they just let me into the American government building, just like that... I mean I really don't understand why Osama had such troubles...) and had a tour about the place... Now, I say  "tour", but to be honest, I've had longer house tours than that - we went in a grand total of THREE; yes THREE, small, cramped rooms... All of these rooms were totally insignificant, and only had statues in, with no explanations or backstories; although that's hardly surprising, considering the tourguide we had - a miserable (and I MEAN SERIOUSLY MISERABLE), slouched, pre-pubescent, geeky, droning, little woman took us around within about 10 minutes, with the most carefree attitude I've ever seen... And when she actually DID say something, she said it in the most irritating voice; which see-sawed from suicidal emo, up to mickey mouse, and back down again; about every 6th word... In that sense, I'm glad the tour was short, because my GOD was she giving me a headache...
So we left, and made our way down The Mall, which on the map doesn't look TOO long... But my GOD... when it's up in the low to mid 90s, and you're making your way up there, it's liking trekking the Sahara... The thing I find crazy though, is that the locals were jogging past (although one old boy had his shirt SO drenched in sweat, that it looked as if he'd come straight outta the Atlantic...) and even playing a game of football in the heat (yet these dudes were all about 50, and of course were all Americans; thus terrible at the sport)... We, on the other hand, found it hard enough to just walk it, and so went in some museum, and Ford's theatre, for some American history lessons... Yaaaay... (sarcasm doesn't come through all too well on this, huh?...) So I found out that ol' Abe Lincoln was shot by a racist, above the stage of a comedy play... Naturally, as an ignorant Brit; I knew nothing of what any good presidents have done, (except for Bush Jr being a fat southern fascist, out to needlessly kill as many civilians as physically possible... But then again I said GOOD presidents, so he hardly counts), so I guess I learned something...
The day ended down at National Stadium (which for the record, is the nicest ballpark I've ever been to... Free wifi, leather seats, elevators to your seats, and internal corridors past all the lush boxes to get to your seats to make you feel a little more important... All very good features methinks...) where I got to see another good (albeit low scoring) ball game... They beat the cubs (although let's be honest; who DOESN'T beat the cubs???) 3-2, and I was forced to go against all my morals to actually cheer for Ryan Zimmerman *virtual spit on the floor*... With that all being said; the best part of the night by a LONG way, was the frankly GENIUS Presidents race, at the end of the 3rd inning... Now for those who are unfamiliar with the Nats;,they have 5 main mascots (meaning the fat old paedophiles, as apposed to the small  children whom they prey upon): Screech the eagle - the main mascot, and then the four presidents - George Washington, Tom Jefferson, Abe Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt. Now all of these 4 presidents are in ridiculously large and hilarious costumes, and at the start of the 3rd inning in every home Nationals game, they have a race... Yes, you read me right (go on, go back a line, and check... It's really true!... Hell; you're on the computer at the moment - YouTube it... "Washington Nationals President Race" - you will NOT regret it...) - a full on 200 meter sprint race around the left side of the field, whilst in their TOTALLY impractical costumes... It is HILARIOUS... Now, I had my money on Abe, and of course he came through for me - pipping Tom on the line; but poor ol' Teddy Roosevelt had about a 10 second head-start, yet STILL didn't get his first win of the year... Still... 200m in 50 seconds isn't too bad for an obese, deceased American... No matter how awesome he is...

Thanks,
Kempo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment